2/14/10

Pre-Session G

My enemy, thy name is sugar!







Remember that extra jolt you were feeling this morning after your early morning trip to Starbucks, or Arabica, or Duncan Donuts, or McDonalds, or Caribou Coffee, or wherever you go to grab a "light" mocha and a "fat-free" muffin?

(For those of you eating a real breakfast at home, I give you mad props...depending on what you’re eating...)




A few hours after breakfast...did you suddenly feel like you were dragging your feet? Did the day seem too heavy for you to carry on with? Did you go from being ready to face the day to being borderline depressed? Did you feel as if you were suddenly climbing up hill, or falling down a never-ending hole?


More Myspace Graphics at MYPSACEHIVE.COM


Ha ha! You were struck by the blood-sugar gremlins!
And not cute gremlins like Gizmo...I’m talking about the ugly, slimy lookin’ ones (and if you haven’t seen "Gremlins"...well then SHAME ON YOU!!! Go rent it! But read the rest of the blog first).






Welcome back to the seventh (lucky number seven) installment of "Workout Buddy Needed," where your input matters.

So, I’ve been feeling like crap for the last month...maybe more like the last three months. My weight has been fluctuating between the same five pounds. When I get to my Curves weigh-in in the middle of the month, it looks like I’m losing weight (well, I am), but now I’m only losing, like one to three pounds a month.

I want to say that I’ve hit a plateau, but I know it’s more than that. I know, and those of you who have been reading know, that I’ve been on an emotional roller coaster for the last couple of months. Crap has been happening, like always, and when crap happens, I return to my old, bad habit of eating crap that makes me feel good temporarily...
And what makes me feel best in the moment???

SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




My frenemy, if you will...I know, I couldn’t sound more preppy or lame if I tried.

I know that eating sugar does me harm, and knowing is the first step...I just wish that all the steps that need to come next could be that easy.

I was reading an article in the latest "Women’s Health" magazine that was all about sugar addiction. Turns out that sugar can go by over 100 different names on nutrition labels...in fact, the article names 100 of the most common names used.




Two pieces of bad news:

1.) The only way to break a sugar habit is to go cold turkey. You have to give up the sugar culprits that give you the most up and down feelings in your life. I already gave up soda...actually, for some reason, even though I was drinking about a can or two a day, giving it up was really easy for me. Ice cream and candy are my biggest threats. Luckily, the article offers low sugar ideas. I’ve tried the "Skinny Cow" ice cream...best tasting ice cream I’ve ever purchased in store...which is saying something for being not only a low in sugar product, but also a low in calorie product.

The article warns that people with a sugar addiction will go through signs of withdrawal, just like a drug junkie, but the signs disappear after about five days...however three of those days will feel like hell.





2.) Sugar substitutes are crap! For example, Splenda, which for many people causes headaches, does not help in weight loss. Sugar substitutes trick your body into thinking it is getting more calories than it actually is, so when your body does not receive those calories, it actually feels hungrier later on than it would have (in the case of diet soda, not only have you put in all that bad carbonation into your body that makes you bloated, but now you want to eat more a couple hours later than if you had just drank regular soda, or juice). So don’t take it!!!


So here’s the TOPIC OF THE WEEK:

Let’s be a little less general this week. I wanna know your fitness and health weakness, but I wanna know just about your weakness in food. What is your guilty pleasure?




Before my focus turned to sugar, when I was in high school, I used to have an addiction to mayo (eeeewww gross I know). I kicked that habit by substituting mayo for mustard, which is so much better for your body and almost calorie free.

But what is it in your eating and drinking habits that breaks you down? Can you substitute it for something better? Or do you also have to go cold turkey?
Let me know!

UPDATE:
I have been successful in my mini-goal. I have set up my life so that it focuses on my own bedroom, which means that I have fallen asleep on my own bed every night since I set this goal. Already, I feel more energized at work...even though I’ve been sick as a dog.



My new mini-goal for this week...get at least 15 extra minutes of exercise (cardio) in everyday, preferably in the morning...how am I going to do this? With my new gear being stored in my room.
Curious as to what new gear I’m talking about?
Then check out my VIDEO MOMENT of the week:

Workout Buddy Needed Blog 7



..


OK gang, hit the showers, and I’ll see you next session!
Your Workout Buddy,
Roxy!

p.s. I usually wouldn’t promote anything specific, but I highly recommend checking out that sugar article in this month’s "Women’s Health," which you might be able to find online!

No comments:

Post a Comment